Hello Summer 2018!
By Jacqueline Corcoran
Memorial Day 2018 is in the rearview mirror heralding the “official” start of Summer here in Charleston, SC. Spoleto Festival is in full swing, the Grace Church Tea Room is open, Sweetgrass and CariFest festivals are soon happening. Culture abounds, and as the saying goes “Charleston is ALWAYS a good time!”
Summer 2018 also marks WBR’s anniversary, and it’s hard for us to believe that Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park is now in it’s 4th year here in Charleston. As a small, locally-owned, and family-operated business we are very grateful for all the love and community support we have received. We launched Wild Blue Ropes with the hope of getting folks of all ages “off their thumbs” to participate in an engaging, active, outdoor adventure experience at a time where excessive screen time is the norm. Thank YOU all for embracing our high ropes course!
Fortunately outdoor activities are abundant here in Charleston. There is no shortage of things to keep you busy, moving, active, and engaged this summer. Why not:
– Head out to our great Lowcountry beaches and walk, swim, kite-board, or surf.
– Explore area estuaries via kayak, canoe, or paddle-board.
– Cast a long line and reel ’em in on a Charleston fishing expedition.
– Bike or hike the Palmetto Trail
Wherever this summer takes you we hope it’s jam-packed with great memories! See you on the ropes 😉
The Many Benefits of Taking Age-Appropriate Risks
By Jacqueline Corcoran
Naturally Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park is all about having FUN while climbing around and being active, but it’s also about teaching kids to push through their perceived limits and boundaries. Those are some of the vital life skills we try to pass along, that by facing up to challenges you’ll ultimately feel a sense of pride in overcoming them.
Just look at all that self-assured determination. It is so much of what we are about here at Wild Blue Ropes
The many positive rewards from rising to a challenge are innumerable and well documented. The way we react to our children taking age-appropriate risks is crucial to developing mentally strong and emotionally healthy adults. Scientific studies reveal that the many ways in which modern day play has been stripped of risk, ultimately does our children more harm than good. Encouraging and championing our kids to embrace challenges as opportunities is essential to their personal growth, inner strength, and development.
When children are taught to push forward & approach risks in a healthy and secure manner they ultimately flourish.
Why is tackling age-appropriate risk important, and what opportunities does Wild Blue Ropes provide?
- Practicing balance on uneven, moving surfaces (and yes – you are safely connected by a secure harness system).
- Coordinating left brain and right brain functions by climbing suspended obstacles.
- Improving planning skills (executive function) while figuring out how to conquer a specific element / challenge.
- Learning you can be a little nervous, but to try something anyway (= bravery)!
- Accepting the possibility of not always succeeding on a first attempt, but having the willingness and grit to try again.
- Developing increased steadiness and physical coordination.
- Believing in the possibility of ultimately succeeding, even when obstacles are initially daunting.
Congrats to all of YOU (parents & kiddos) who have faced our ropes course – and your own fears – and tackled Wild Blue Ropes with courage and enthusiasm. We hope you reap the benefits for many years to come!
Summer is a great time incorporate some beneficial “risky” challenges into your family’s day. Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park #Charleston kicks off Summer 2018 Hours on June 1st, 2018.